Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Too costly

Injuries come and injuries go this hurt like hell.
Having completed my first Ironman in a season that saw a fair number of events and desiring to start working towards some new goals I found myself sidelined, benched.
As I mentioned, both my ankles were screaming. Unable to train effectively I pulled out of a Half Ironman for which I was registered. I had another event coming up, a trail 50k this time and set about getting healthy. New shoes, massage, physical therapy, stretching, the works and every time an attempt was made to get the run going it was back to the hurt locker.
The 50k came and went, another trail race missed after that. The triathlon season had begun and there was another Ironman looming in my future.
Enough was enough. It was clear that all previous attempts to get rid of my running pain had not worked out. No one so far had offered anything that had actually helped me and I was pretty pissed about it.
I had just hung up from a conversation with another sports injury "expert" who had another list of bullshit to sell me. I called back and said I wouldn't be needing that appointment and would be going a different route.
I had begun working a new training plan for my upcoming Ironman which had strong form component for all three triathlon disciplines. This got me thinking about my running form again only in a more focused way.
My education in proper running form started to take on real meaning and study of everything available on the subject became and continues to be part of my everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment